The Mediterranean diet is a modern way of nutrition – a model inspirited by the traditional diet of the Mediterranean countries. In fact, the Mediterranean diet is a nutrition regime by which you can lose weight and you can improve your health.
This regime has been studied and noticed by a number of leading and well-known scientists who list this type of nutrition as number one in the world, altogether with all healthy and delicious recipes. This type of nutrition is generally named the Mediterranean diet.
The basis of this Mediterranean diet includes proportionally:
- High consumption of olive oil, fruit, vegetable, legume, and unrefined cereals;
- High consumption of all sorts of fish and the rest of sea fruit;
- Moderate consumption of dairy products such as yogurt and cheese;
- Moderate consumption of wine;
- Low consumption of meat and meat products and
The Mediterranean Diet History
In the following Mediterranean countries: Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Libya, Morocco, Egypt, Palestine, etc. there are many similarities, but also many differences in the specifics of the Mediterranean diet and its preparation. Therefore, there is not one and only Mediterranean diet. However, in every place, the following food components are consistent in it:
- Olive oil – as the main source of fat;
- Dairy products – such as yogurt and cheese;
- Fish and chicken in moderate amounts;
- Moderate amounts of eggs during the week – up to 4 per week;
- Red meat in low amounts;
- Wine – the God’s lacquer (or liquid) in moderate amounts and, of course
The Mediterranean diet has been promoted and started spreading since 1990. There is a paradox in information scientific research: The Mediterranean people use a great amount of saturated fat in their nutrition and at the same time, have a low percentage of heart diseases. Compared to other states, such as the USA, the usage of saturated fat is far lower, and again, heart diseases are more often.
Health Benefits of the Mediterranean Diet
Olive oil has the main role in Mediterranean cuisine and makes the Mediterranean diet characteristically. It contains a high percentage of unsaturated fat, especially oleic acid that diminishes the risk of heart diseases. Then, it contains antioxidant properties that control the cholesterol level in the blood and many other anti-inflammatory and anti-hypertensive effects.
Many types of diets have ruled the world. However, scientific research has shown that the effect of the Mediterranean diet is the most spread and the most adequate for health improvement. It is useful because it contains saturated fat at a low level, a high level of monounsaturated fat, and dietary fiber. One of the main reasons for this fact is the usage of olive oil in order to improve health.
Mediterranean diet is full of salt due to the usage of salt fish, sardines, olives, cheese, etc. We can list here wine, the red one especially because it contains high levels of flavonoids.
The Mediterranean diet is a way of nutrition with a poor intake of fat that helps in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases and high blood pressure. This will furthermore prevent many other diseases and unexpected death.
Another interesting fact is that those who practice the Mediterranean diet are not so prone to depression.
Here we can list:
- Fruits and vegetables, 6-12 times per day;
- Cereals, 4-6 times per day;
- Milk and dairy products, 1-3 times per day;
- Meat and meat products, 1-2 times per day; such as fish, sea fruits, and chicken;
- Red wine, 1 glass per day.
Many scientific studies and research have been conveyed about the Mediterranean diet benefit. First, it is noticed low percentage of people are prone to early death, and a low percentage of people are prone to heart diseases. This is so because of the Vitamin C and D and the low level of fat in the body. That is why it is highly recommended for diabetics. So, the Mediterranean diet is a healthy way of nutrition and a healthy way of life with zero risk and no unpleasant medical states.
8 Easy Steps to Improve Your Health State Using the Mediterranean diet
- Eat more vegetables. You have a range of choices in your reach: Starting from delicious tomato salad seasoned with young cheese and olive oil through green salad, healthy vegetable pizza, and mushrooms to healthy and yummy vegetable soups. Can’t you fulfill the mission “dinner for today”?
- Change the way you use meat. Eat meat, it is Ok, but in a lower amount and combined with vegetables and pasta. For instance, little slices of beef filet with undercooked vegetables or pasta combined with ham or chicken.
- Always have breakfast. Start your day by eating delicious fruit and nuts. This will give information to your brain that you are not hungry. Alternatively, combine a toasted piece of fruit with low-fat yogurt.
- Eat seafood. At least two times per week you should have fish on your menu, such as salmon, sardine, haring shrimps… Those are rich with omega 3, fat acid that is a further benefit for your brain and your heart.
- Prepare a vegetarian dish. Do this at least once a week. Prepare legumes: bean, green bean, white bean, etc., and season it with herbs; combine all of this with a vegetable salad, and MISSION COMPLETED!
- Use saturated fat. In your daily meals use healthy fat such as olive oil, nuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds, avocado, olives…
- Low intake of dairy products. If you really must take a dairy product, let it be a reduced-fat yogurt and reduced-fat cheese.
- Fresh fruit for dessert. You have a full range of delicious and various fruits. Fig, orange, apple, gooseberries, grapes…..instead of ice cream and cakes.
Mediterranean Diet Pyramid
Be led by the following nutrition pyramid.
– Be active. Right, and healthy nutrition is not enough for a healthy life;
– Cook and enjoy with your family and friends;
– Eat predominantly grains fruit, vegetable, herbs, seasons, and healthy fat;
– Eat fish and sea fruit at least two times per week;
– Eat meat, eggs, chicken, yogurt, cheese, etc. However, be moderate – do not exaggerate.
– Red meat and sweets – reduced them as much as possible;
– Drink wine and water or lemon water for better taste – the most typical drinks in the Mediterranean diet.
This is the basis of your nutrition. From bottom to top:
Benefits of the Mediterranean diet
Application of the Mediterranean diet over a number of years contributed to reducing the risk of heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, and Alzheimer’s disease. Also, the risk of early death is a successful strategy for healthy weight reduction.
The followers (users) of the Mediterranean diet are provided with:
- Saturated fat – 20-30% of the recommended doses of calories, go to saturated fat;
- Proteins – 10-35% of daily calories intake;
- Carbohydrates – 50% of daily calories intake;
- Salt – 2300 milligrams are recommended;
- Fiber – 22-34 grams are enough for not feeling hungry and to have good digestion;
- Potassium – It is an essential ingredient for increasing low blood pressure, reducing the loss of bone mass, and preventing the occurrence of kidney stones. 4700 mg. is the daily dose and it appears in bananas and other fruits;
- Calcium – Essential to build up and maintain bones but also the blood vessels and muscles. 1000-1300 mg. is the daily dose. Milk and dairy products are the sources;
- Vitamin B-12 – The cellular metabolism needs it badly. 2, 4 micrograms is the daily recommended dose. Yogurt and cereals contain vitamin B-12.
- Vitamin D – 15 micrograms are enough for adults. Be exposed in daylight. But cereals and low-fat products are other sources too.
Because of the fact the Mediterranean, diet does not forbid any type of food. There is no difficulty in practicing it in long term. This diet itself is suitable, and practical and offers delicious meals. Due to fiber intake, there is no sense of lack of food.
By this, you will lose weight, reduce the risk of heart disease and improve your blood parameters. The Mediterranean diet is a rule-free, limit-free, and effort-free way of nutrition. Easy, like a piece of cake.
Aha, about the workout… That is a “MUST”! That is a lifestyle!
Many types of research have shown that the Mediterranean diet reduces cancer risk and Alzheimer’s and improves the cardiovascular system additionally.
Live longer life and reduce risks of health disorder appearance by preparing Mediterranean diet meals. Keep away from wrinkles also.
Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack time…
You can search around to find some other meal plans and recipes to help you stay slim and healthy for the rest of your life. The Internet is an inexhaustible source of information.