Runny nose, difficulty breathing, headache, fatigue or facial pains without any occasion are symptoms of a sinus infection.
Sometimes, it is enough to change your lifestyle to eliminate the causes of the sinus infections, as for example, avoid chemical cleaning products, contaminated or stuffy rooms. Use of antibiotics is necessary only in the case of viral and not bacterial infections. Garlic, honey and apple cider vinegar are three natural remedies that can heal this condition.
6 Sinus Infection Home Remedies
1. Garlic – Inhalation
If the infection is not completely blown, inhalation should be on the first place.
- Boil water in a pot and add fresh ground garlic (3-4 cloves);
- Lean your head over the bowl and cover with a cotton towel;
- Start the inhalation. Initially you may be feeling uncomfortable, but the steam is amazing decongestant to help clear the airways.
2. Apple cider vinegar – Inhalation
It is the same procedure as with fresh garlic.This time, use apple cider vinegar in the proportion 1:1. The apple cider vinegar clears mucus from the airways.
3. Essential oils – Inhalation
Some people, in the inhalations with garlic and apple cider vinegar, adding a few drops of tea tree oil, because of its strong, natural, antibiotic and antifungal activity. It acts directly on the nasal membrane as an antibiotic.
Essential oils such as eucalyptus also help with chest congestion caused by strong cold or sinus infection.
Always use natural and raw honey. Filtered honey often loses its medicinal properties. Raw honey is an excellent antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal creation of bee that increases and improves the immune system. Followers of Ayurveda propose to start the day with a glass of warm lemon water and a teaspoon of honey. Therefore, in case of a sinus infection use this recipe:
- 1 cup of warm lemon water;
- 1 teaspoon honey;
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar;
- 3 cloves of ground fresh garlic.
Mix all ingredients and consume the mixture 3 times a day. This mix would improve the health of the sinuses. If you have a problem with the taste or the smell of garlic, be free to leave it out.
5. Neti Pot
One of the most popular treatment for sinuses is using salt water, so called neti pot.
- In the ceramic bowl pour 1 cup lukewarm water (previously boiled, but not tap water).
- Add 1 teaspoon salt.
- When the container is ready, tilt your head over the sink at an angle of 45 degrees.
- In one nostril, using a sterile syringe, inject of salty liquid, so that it will flow through your nasal cavity and out through the other nostril.
- Repeat the same process on the other side.
Neti pot ejects collected mucus in the nasal cavities and frees the airways. You can repeat this procedure every day. Once the symptoms of sinus infection decrease, you can reduce it to 3 times a week (preventive).
6. Elderberry Infusion
Elderberry is a shrub with small white flowers and dark purple fruit with sweet-sour taste. From the elder flowers, you can make effective remedy to prevent inflammation and infection of the respiratory system. At the same time, it prevents sinus infection.
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried elderberry flowers in 1 cup of boiling water;
- Boil it for about 10 minutes;
- Leave the tea to cool, strain it and drink it – the more, the better.
If you regularly use all these wonderful gifts of nature, your immune system will always be at the high level and the problem with the sinus infection, your past.