The traditional lifestyle of the Amish people is one of the things that make this community different from most other communities today. When it comes to health and healing, the Amish people strictly use natural remedies. They use different herbs in tonics, ointments, salves, poultices, and teas in order to prevent and cure illnesses.
The Amish method of creating remedies for different illnesses and health problems is based on folk medicine. What scientists have discovered is that the vast majority of traditional medicines they use are based on Cleveland Clinic and corn silk.
Amish Natural Remedies for Ear Infection
The following is a list of popular natural remedies for ear infections used by the Amish people.
1. Garlic – Garlic is known for its ability to relieve pain and the Amish use it for many things including ear infections. This vegetable comes with powerful antimicrobial compounds that have proven to be extremely efficient in healing these infections. They usually use it as garlic oil, which is obtained by heating a couple of garlic cloves in two tablespoons of mustard, or sesame oil.
Once the solution becomes black, it is slowly strained. Only a couple of hot drops of this mixture can eliminate the ear infection.
In addition, these drops can be used together with other drops used for this purpose in order to make them more efficient.
2. Basil – Those looking to relieve pain caused by an ear infection can also try basil leaves. The main goal is to obtain juice from a few basil leaves by crushing them.
The obtained juice is used over and around the ear. You should keep the juice out of the ear canal. Another option is to create a mixture of basil leaf oil and mustard oil.
After that, soak a cotton ball in this mixture and apply it to the outer side of the ear and around the ear.
3. Ear candle – The Amish community also uses traditional ear candles in order to remove earwax. The process is very simple.
First, you need to cover one end of the dowel rod with a piece of linen cloth (previously soaked into melted paraffin wax). You should remove the dowel rod when the paraffin wax becomes cold.
After that, you can place the cone-like tip coated with paraffin wax in the ear and light fire on the other end.
In order to finish this process smoothly, the patient needs to keep their body upright. This process of elimination of earwax was used for centuries, but the Amish community is one of the rare ones that are still practicing this method.
4. Salt – Salt is one of the remedies that we all have in our homes. It can control and relieve pain caused by ear infections. In order to use this remedy, you have to take one cup of salt and heat it in a pan. When it is heated, pour the salt into a sock, seal with a piece of cloth, and tie it with a rubber band.
Next, lie down and firmly press the covered salt bundle on the affected ear. Use this bundle when the salt is warm. In this way, you will be able to pull the fluid from the infected ear and ease the pain.
5. Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar has proven to be very efficient in healing ear infections that come because of fungal growth within the ear. In order to use this vinegar for ear infections, you should mix it with water (1:1 ratio). After that, dip a cotton ball or swab in the solution and put it on the ear. Leave it like that for about 5 minutes.
Next, remove the swab. You should see that the infectious fluid is leaking from your ear. You can perform this procedure after some time.
6. Olive oil – If you ask the Amish whether using olive oil for an ear infection is a good thing, they will for sure answer you that olive oil is one of the best natural remedies for ear infection and probably the best antibiotic for ear infection and cleansing wax blockage inside the ears.
In case you have extra wax in your ears, there are higher chances that you will develop ear infections and feel strong pain because of that. Olive oil is heated and dropped in the ear while it is warm.
These olive oil drops have the ability to melt the earwax immediately and the ear canals begin to cleanse. After that, you can use a cotton swab to completely remove the wax. It is worth mentioning that the eardrum is very sensitive, so you must be careful with the swabs. Mustard oil can provide similar results.
7. Warm water – Using heat on the affected ear can also ease the pain that accompanies these infections. In order to create a simple and fast natural remedy, dip a piece of cloth into warm water and apply it to the ear or simply press a warm bottle filled with water and you will get instant relief.
It is good to point out that heat shouldn’t be used continuously because it may worsen the situation. Therefore, it is better to take breaks and use heat during certain periods of the day.
8. Onion – Those who eat onions on a regular basis are actually supporting their hearing system and preventing ear diseases and hearing loss. On the other hand, onion juice can successfully clear the infectious fluid from the ear. All you need to do is to chop one small onion and use the microwave to heat it (for about ten minutes).
Use this onion juice in the ear for about seven minutes and keep your head tilted in order to drain the infectious fluid.
In addition, you can use baked onion by placing it in a piece of cloth and keeping it over the ear for about ten minutes. Take a break and repeat the process until you remove the fluid from the affected area.
9. Mango leaf juice – The Amish people believe that mango leaf juice is one of the best ingredients if you want to get rid of ear infections and pain. In order to use this remedy, grind or crush a few mango leaves and obtain the juice. Put this juice in the form of drops in your affected ear. You can feel the best results by warming the juice a little bit.
Once the juice enters the canal, it will provide relief immediately and the fluid will start to leave the canal.
10. Breast milk – As we all know, breast milk is packed with antibodies that can eliminate all types of infections and they are especially efficient against ear infections. With the help of a dropper, add a few drops in the ear and repeat the procedure after 5 hours. After three days of regular use, the ear should be cured or at least relieved.
In addition, breast milk can be used for treating minor cuts and eye infections.
11. Tea tree oil – Experts suggest that this type of oil has sufficient antibacterial properties and it is especially recommended for treating ear infections and earaches. In order to prepare the remedy, you will need to mix three drops of tea tree oil, one teaspoon of colloidal silver, two tablespoons of olive oil, and one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
After that, the mixture is warmed up and placed inside the ear with a dropper. The mixture is left for a while. Next, you need to position your head so that the fluid can freely drain out. The pain will be gone too. You need to repeat the procedure after every three hours for three days.