How to Grow Buckets of Blueberries at Home
If you are looking for the healthiest fruits you can consume, then you must take blueberries into consideration. Blueberries are loaded with many different health benefits. They are rich in phytonutrients and antioxidants.
These fruits can help you boost your memory, protect you from memory loss that comes as a result of aging, they are very low on the glycemic scale, stabilize blood sugar levels, boost cardiovascular health, prevent oxygen damage to the retina and they can protect us even from cancer.
Blueberries are fond of water and sun and they need quality soil, mulching, and fertilization to make progress. Planting and growing these fruits is relatively simple. According to many experts, this is the berry that is simplest to grow. In case you are interested in planting and want to grow buckets of blueberries than you must check our advice.
How to Grow Buckets of Blueberries
- Plant them in acidic soil with a pH value of between 4.8 and 5.5. So, make sure that there are no high levels of sulfur in the soil because sulfur can ruin the normal pH value and the microbes that grow in the soil.
- Blueberries have short roots. This means that you don’t have to plant them deep and you won’t need large amounts of soil.
- Blueberries need one inch of water a week.
A short extract from the article:
Since containers can’t provide proper insulation when the weather is cold, make sure to find a way to protect the blueberries planted in containers during the winter period because otherwise the root will get damaged.
In the second half of October, put the containers in the ground in a place where snow can be avoided and where blueberries won’t be exposed to strong cold winds.
Use between 4 and 8 inches of straw to mulch the surface of the soil in the second half of November or use burlap to cover the plant.
Additional instructions – sources
- Pruning Blueberries
- Transplantation of Mature Blueberry Plants
- Cloning Blueberries from Mature Healthy Plants
Planting and Growing Blueberries in Pots
Via Real Farmacy