This is What Happens to Your Body 10 Hours after Putting on Nail Polish
There are many individuals who consider themselves health-conscious today, but only a small number of them are aware of the effects of the use of nail polish. A scientific study revealed not while ago has shown that the majority of nail polishes found on the market in America and Europe are actually quite harmful.
What did the study show?
Scientists have checked for traces of chemicals in more than 20 women who agreed to be part of this study. The scientists have identified many toxins in all women. In case you were wondering how did these rare toxic chemicals enter their bodies we will give you one simple answer – nail polish.
The final results have confirmed that all the tested women had traces of triphenyl phosphate in their body just ten hours after using nail polish. This is very disturbing finding.
Another study that came as a result of the first study, the same team of scientists checked ten popular nail polishes for a presence of triphenyl phosphate and found that this chemical is present in 8 out of 10 polishes.
Six of them have highlighted the presence of this chemical on their labels.
In other words, more than 20% of nail polishes on the market may contain harmful chemical toxins that are not listed on their labels.
Triphenyl phosphate also is known as TPHP was linked to many health issues, but doctors are especially concerned about its ability to harm the endocrine system and this system manages the hormones in the body.
According to one of the leading researchers in this project, Dr. Heather Stapleton, there are numerous studies and tests that have shown that TPHP is probably directly affecting regulation of hormones, reproduction, metabolism, and development.
The situation is more serious in teenage girls who use nail polishes on a daily basis because proper hormonal balance and development are crucial for their growth. In any case, TPHP brings many serious health issues to any individual who is exposed to its negative effects.
TPHP has been labeled as:
- Reproductive toxin
- Endocrine toxin
- Skin allergen and irritant
This compound is a proven carcinogen that can easily dissolve in tap water and even in the air. This is where the strong scent from nail polishes comes from. If a person is in touch with this toxin that person can experience symptoms as asthma, breathing difficulties, throat problem etc. Obviously, individuals dealing with chronic diseases are more prone to the negative effects of formaldehyde.
Toluene is a chemical linked to disruptions in child development. There were cases where toluene was found in breast milk too. In addition, It also acts as a skin irritant.
There are nail polish products that use phthalate as a replacement for TPHP, but it seems that this substance is equally dangerous for human health. As a matter of fact, dibutyl phthalate brings the same dangers to the health like reproductive problems and hormonal misbalance.
Natural Nail Polish Solutions
The good news is that there are manufacturers that are trying to replace these harmful ingredients with safer ones. So, there are many great, natural solutions that don’t come with any of the ingredients we have mentioned before. This is a short list of some of these natural products.
- Honeybee Gardens has a separate collection of nail polish products that come in different vivid colors. They are based on water so you won’t have difficulties removing them with rubbing alcohol and don’t have any harmful ingredients.
- Acquarella is a company that has a nail polish collection with more than 50 colors. Once again, they are based on water and don’t have traces of mercury, toluene, formaldehyde or any other toxic ingredient.
- SpaRitual is a brand of polishes that provide products free of toxins.
- Peacekeeper Cause-Metics is another brand with few interesting nail polish options that contain argan oil and no toxins.
As you can see, you don’t have to stay away from all nail polish products, you just need to check their labels and opt for those that don’t have ingredients that may lead to health problems.