Organs in our body and our immune system function properly in an alkaline environment. Therefore, an alkaline balance is important for our overall well-being.
Our body is known to regulate the body’s pH level with the help of lungs and kidneys.
The very breathing and respiratory rate can impact the carbon dioxide acidity level in our body, besides it’s mildly acidic. Besides producing carbon dioxide, exercise also produces lactic acid which is obviously acidic. When we breathe out we also disperse acids.
Acids from kidneys are eliminated through urine, and the buffers in our body are chemicals which help regulate changes in the pH level of our body.
Our body has to keep a specific pH range so that it can allow occurrence of all the necessary chemical reactions in it.
The acidity level in our body is known to cause autoimmune diseases.
If our body is more acidic, there will be more damage to:
- raise in free radical generation
- cell metabolism
- raise in fluid buildup
An acidic body has increased risk for the following diseases and health conditions:
- morning sickness
Everything we consume affects our pH level, either positively, or negatively. Vegetables and fruits are mainly alkaline, whereas meat and dairy products are mostly acidic. However, we must include both types of food in our diet to balance the pH level of our body. If we avoid refined or processed food, we will help prevent possible acidic spike in our body.
Another way to accurately check your body’s pH level is considered to be urine pH level testing. Although you can do this in the morning or in the evening, the urine in the morning usually has acidic level. The reason for this is because during the night, our body clears up the acids by storing them in the urine.
Another more accurate and inexpensive way to check your body’s pH level is using pH strips and a color chart. In this way, you will precisely determine your pH level, and keep a regular update.
How to Maintain Alkaline Environment in Your Body
- To prepare a refreshing alkaline based beverage, add a tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of warm lemon water (use half a lemon).
- Make smoothies with a lot of fruits and green vegetables, including chlorella, spirulina, wheat grass, barley grass, kelp, and cayenne, and consume them on a daily basis.
- Avoid fast foods which include refined and processed products.
- Order alkaline water online, purchase it from your health store, or make it at your home.
- Instead of using commercial and highly toxic cleaning agents that can increase the acidic level in your body, use natural ones like plant proteins and diluted apple cider vinegar or essential oils.
- Avoid GMO plant and animal products as much as you can, and use only grass-fed organic animal products.
- Always use natural conditioner, shampoo, facial cream, make-up, soap, and mouthwash. Avoid commercial products loaded with toxic chemicals and synthetic additives which are dangerous to your health.
- Sweet potatoes/Yams
- Winter squash
- IFL Science
- Collard greens
- Nuts, Seeds, Spices and Herbs with high alkaline level
- Mustard greens
- Ginger root
- Cleveland Clinic
- Sea salt
- Mineral water
- Ginger tea