You are probably familiar with Listerine, a potent antiseptic mouthwash for healthy oral hygiene. This product improves the oral health of people and is present on the market many years ago.
According to the studies conducted, Listerine reduces plaque and gingivitis due to its anti-gingivitis and anti-plaque properties.
Nonetheless, we could not only use Listerine for rinsing plague or improving our oral hygiene but for many other uses. Its antiseptic, astringent, antifungal, sanitizing, and alcohol qualities enable Listerine to take a significant part in our lives.
However, you should use the blue-colored Listerine but the original brown one.
10 Different Uses of Listerine You Are Probably Not Familiar With
1. Excellent cure for Athlete’s Foot and Toenail Fungus
Listerine can treat your problem with an athlete’s foot or toenail fungus for a couple of days simply by applying some of it on the affected part.
It is very useful for this kind of problems thanks to the thymol, a substance whose antifungal properties kill the fungus that provokes toenail fungus.
It also relieves any itching, stinging from your legs.
Its antiseptic properties prevent any further infection.
- When treating a toenail fungus, drop some Listerine on cotton pads and apply them to your toenails. Secure the cotton pads with a bandage or adhesive tape. After 45 minutes unwrap the toenails and gently scrub them with a toothbrush. Then wash and dry them. Practice this treatment daily but just once.
- For a serious athlete’s foot, combine an equal amount of white vinegar and Listerine. Soak your feet in the mix for half an hour before you wash them. Practice this treatment several times a week.
2. Relieves Jock Itch
Jock itch is an unpleasant fungal infection in the groin area that causes discomfort and itching. The antifungal properties of Listerine can relieve the itchiness at the very moment of application. Its antiseptic qualities reduce discomfort and inflammation thanks to the alcohol and thymol which kill the fungus which provokes the inflammation.
How to relieve the symptoms from Jock itch? First, Apply some Listerine on a cotton pad. Gently rub the affected part. Leave it dry naturally and then wash it out. Treat the affected part a few times a day for several months. Listerine could also relieve the itching from bug bites or by skin reactions on poison oak and ivy.
3. Yellow Nails Go White
Some fungal infections may cause discoloration of your nails but Listerine can remove the yellow color and whiten your nails. It’s the eucalyptol, menthol, and thymol that fight fungal infections and give the nails a healthy look and a whiter color than ever.
- Combine an equal quantity of vinegar and Listerine. Place your nails in the combination for twenty minutes and then gently rub your nails with a toothbrush. Practice this treatment for several days until your nails go white.
- Also, you can soak your nails in Listerine for 20 minutes. Bear in mind, not to practice this treatment every week but make one week break.
4. Remove dandruff
The antifungal and alcohol properties of Listerine are an effective tool for removing dandruff.
- What you need to do is to apply Listerine to your head and massage your scalp for 2-3 minutes. After 5 minutes, wash your hair with your regular shampoo as usual. Repeat this method several times a week.
- Another solution for dandruff is a mixture of 1 cup of water ¼ cup of Listerine. Wash your hair with this shampoo several times a week.
This shampoo is also effective in more severe forms of dandruff, such as the infant cradle cap.
5. Removes Head Lice
This problem is most common among small children, school-age children, or even adults. It’s the cooling menthol that removes the lice thus relieving the itching. Apply the mouthwash on the scalp and massage it. Leave the hair covered for two hours. Wash the scalp with some mild shampoo. When still damp, comb your hair with a lice comb to get rid of all that lice and lice eggs. Repeat this on a weekly basis in terms of how affected is your hair.
Note: Take care of your nose and eyes, this shampoo should not enter there nor on any open sore on your scalp.
6. Treats Cracked and Dry Heels
It is a really effective way of softening the cracked, dry skin from your heels. Thymol is a potent substance that kills the bacteria responsible for foot odor. Plus, the astringent properties of Listerine reduce the feet’ sweat and odor.
Fill a foot tub with two cups of lukewarm water. Mix one cup of white vinegar and Listerine. Soak your feet in this mixture for less than half an hour. Keep the water warm by adding some more. After removing it from water, scrub the feet in order to remove the dead skin. Wash your feet and apply some moisturizing cream. Repeat this treatment once a week.
7. Removes Ache
Listerine is an effective substance that helps in the treatment of acne and many other skin problems. It penetrates into the skin very easily, reducing inflammation and redness on the face.
Listerine also treats many skin infections. For that reason first, wash your face with warm water. Apply some Listerine directly on the acne before you go to bed. In the morning, wash your face. Repeat it daily when needed.
8. Removes Body Odor
Listerine could serve as a powerful deodorant. It kills the germs and bacteria that cause body odor. It provides a fresh minty fragrance that lasts a long period of time.
- Apply some Listerine on a cotton pad and then rub your underarms and all the other affected areas.
- Another easier way is to add some Listerine into a spray bottle and then spray it on the affected areas.
9. Floors and Toilets Cleaner
Surprisingly, Listerine could be used for both floor and toilet cleaning. As it kills the bacteria in the mouth, Listerine kills odors and bacteria in your toilet, kitchen, bathroom, and other parts of your home. It is also an effective tool for removing mold and mildew.
- Pour a cup of Listerine into a bucket with water and use it for floor cleaning.
- For toilets, pour one cup of Listerine and leave it for half an hour, and at last rub it with a toilet brush.
10. Laundry sanitizer
The sanitizing properties of Listerine can be very effective when it comes to our laundry. It reacts in a similar way as in our mouth, removing all that bacteria that causes the bad smell of our laundry. Bear in mind to use Listerine for clothes that are not artificially colored or do not contain any stains. Another use of Listerine is for disinfection of the washing machine.
- Use one cup of Listerine in a full load of laundry in order to clean the machine for germs and bacteria. It is a much better way to dry the laundry in the sun.
- You can disinfect your washing machine by pouring one cup of Listerine into an empty machine.