Asian people include rice in almost every meal. But, besides being part of their diet, they have also included this food in their beauty regimen.
This ingredient promotes both, our health and beauty, thanks to the contained vitamin B, C, and E, minerals, and 8 essential amino acids. Rice water is packed with nutrients that are exceptionally beneficial for our hair and skin.
You get rice water by boiling or soaking rice in water. The milky white solution at the end can be diluted, concentrated, or even fermented if you like to take advantage of all of its benefits. Rice water is probably one of the cheapest and simplest home beauty products. All you need to prepare it is rice and some water.
You can prepare rice water by either boiling the rice, or without boiling it.
Learn how to make it with boiling:
First, rinse a cup of organic rice with fresh water, and then cook it with three cups of water in an uncovered pan. Then, strain the water in a separate container, and once it cools, transfer it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. After this period, you can prepare a mixture for your beauty regimen by diluting 1-2 tbsp. of the concentrated solution in a cup of water. You’ll get almost milky-looking solution that you can use as needed.
How to make it without boiling:
After washing a cup of organic water with water, add two cups of clean water. Let it soak for 15-30 minutes, and then stir well. Drain the water in a separate container and store it in the fridge for 3-4 days. Before using the rice water, shake it well.
Another way is to allow fermentation by keeping the drained water at a room temperature for two days. To use the fermented water, mix one part of it with tree parts of plain water. You can use your rice water in your daily hair and skin care routine. You will no longer have to buy costly hair and skin cosmetic products loaded with chemicals.
These are the rice water benefits for hair and skin:
1. Improves Hair Health
This water will make your hair strong, soft, and healthy. The protein in rice water is beneficial for your hair that is otherwise consisted of protein. It fills in the cracks and strengthens the hair shafts, making your hair soft and shiny. What’s more, rice water contains a kind of carbohydrate called inositol, which protects the hair from damage, maintaining it soft and healthy. It can even be used in the treatment of hair loss, as it increases the growth of new hair.
- Shampoo your hair, and then pour it with rice water diluted with water. Massage your scalp with your fingers for about 10 minutes. Wash your hair thoroughly with clean water. Do this 2-3 times weekly;
- You can add several drops of lavender, rosemary, or geranium essential oils, or green tea to the rice water before using it for an extra nourishment. Don’t forget diluting the fermented rice water before using it on your hair.
2. Tames Frizzy Hair
Rice water is especially beneficial for unmanageable and frizzy hair. It will deep condition your hair thanks to the good amount of protein it contains. It will also improve its elasticity and help you detangle it. The International Journal of Cosmetic Science has published a 2010 study which investigated the history of the hair care habits and hairstyles of Japanese women. The researchers discovered that they have rinsed their hair with rice water every day. Rice water improves hair elasticity and reduces surface friction.
- After shampooing your hair, wash it with cool water. Rinse it again with a solution prepared by mixing fermented rice water and bath water in 1:3 ratio. For best results, do this once or twice a week.
3. Soothes Irritated Skin
Rice water is also useful in the treatment of dry skin lesions of eczema thanks to the starch in its content. It can also soothe skin inflammation and irritation. Acta Dermato Venereologica has published a 2002 study according to which exposing your damaged skin on bath water with rice starch two times a day for 15 minutes, will improve the healing capacity of the skin by 20%. This bath is especially recommended for atopic dermatitis patients, and anyone with barrier damaged skin.
- You can also add several cups of rice water to your warm bath for any kind of skin inflammation or irritation. Soak in the water for around 20 minutes, 2 times a day.
- If you have irritation on certain part of your skin, apply cotton ball soaked in cool rice water. Do this several times on a daily basis.
4. Tightens Skin Pores
If you have large or open pores, you have more chances of getting blackheads and acne. People with oily skin are especially prone to open pores. Rice water is very effective in this kind of skin problems. It functions as a natural astringent to tighten and tone your skin, restoring its pH balance and reducing the open pores.
- Mix rice water and plain water in equal amounts. Apply soaked cotton ball in the mixture onto your face, and allow it to stay for 15-20 minutes. Then, wash your face. For optimal results, do this every night on a cleansed face.
5. Improves Skin Complexion
You can also improve your skin complexion with the help of rice water. It will increase its elasticity, flush toxins out of the skin, and lower inflammation, making it flawless.
Moreover, rice water prevents hyperpigmentation and aging spots. Apply cotton pads soaked in diluted rice water on your clean face. Let them stay for 5-10 minutes, and then massage your face in circular motions for few more minutes. Wash your face with lukewarm water. Do this beauty treatment once a day.
6. Softens the Skin
Rice water is excellent if you want a soft and moisturized skin. It contains a protein which doesn’t allow water loss, thus keeping the moisture of the skin much longer. Furthermore, the antioxidants it contains reduce free radical damage caused by sun exposure, aging, and environmental factors.
Dilute one part of rice water with two parts of cool water. Take a clean washcloth, and soak it in the solution. Then, put it on your face, previously cleaned, and let it act for at least 15 minutes. Wash your face with rest of the rice water for a smooth and soft skin. After that, wash your face with clean water. Do this once a day.
- Use whatever variety of rice you like: white, jasmine, brown rice, etc.;
- Before using the rice, wash it with water to remove any particles;
- Choose organic rice whenever you can, as it doesn’t contain pesticides;
- Always dilute the rice water when you want to use it for a hair treatment. Otherwise, it might cause lumps or accumulate in your hair over time.