Natural Ways to Ease Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
If you happen to experience weakness, tingling, numbness, or pain in your hand, then you might have carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS).
The University of Maryland Medical Center explains that this condition appears as a result of a strained nerve in the wrist. The median nerve in the hand is pressed by the swelled tissues around it, causing pain, tingling, numbness, or weakness.
If you don’t treat these symptoms in time, they can aggravate and continue from several weeks up to several years. A permanent damage can even happen as the insulation of the nerves might disappear.
To avoid these consequences and a possible irreversible damage, you must treat CTS as soon as you notice the first symptom.
The first thing that your doctor will recommend is wearing a splint, or corticosteroid injections. But you should know that there are various home remedies you can try to alleviate the discomfort and pain caused by CTS. Here are just 8 of them:
1. Ice – You can soothe the inflammation and ease the pain by applying an ice pack in a thin towel to your wrist. CTS sufferers recommend leaving the ice pack on the wrist for about ten minutes. If the pain doesn’t subside, you should repeat the ice treatment every hour.
2. Heat – For some CTS sufferers, a heat treatment is a better option than ice. Soak your hands and wrists in hot or warm water for 12 to 15 minutes before bedtime every night. In this way, you will reduce the chances of sleepless nights because of the pain.
3. Walnuts – Walnuts are high in omega-3 fatty acids which are known to reduce inflammation. A handful of these delicious nuts on top of yogurt or added in a salad will reduce the CTS symptoms. You can also use crushed walnuts instead of breadcrumbs when baking fish or chicken fillets.
4. Potatoes – This vegetable is rich in vitamin B6 which takes part in over 100 enzyme reactions. Some of these reactions are involved in relieving carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms. You can also find this vitamin in most fruits (excepts citrus), fish, and poultry.
5. Turmeric – This plant possesses powerful anti-inflammatory properties, so it helps reduce inflammation and pain. According to some CTS sufferers, curcumin supplements might be even a better option.
6. Pineapple – Bromelain is a powerful enzyme contained in this tropical fruit. It breaks down inflammatory proteins, thus lowering the pain caused by CTS, as well as healing the condition more quickly.
7. Whole grains – Whole grains, green vegetables, and legumes contain magnesium, which is vital for proper nerve functioning and muscle relaxation. To target the CTS symptoms, eat a diet rich in magnesium and take a magnesium supplement.
8. Flaxseed oil – Flaxseed oil, like olive oil and fish oil, contain high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids which have potent anti-inflammatory properties. Enrich your morning orange juice with a tablespoon of flaxseed oil, or add it in your evening salad dressing.
Carpal tunnel syndrome can affect your personal and work life. Therefore, start adding the listed ingredients in your everyday diet. You can also prepare a delicious anti-inflammatory smoothie using walnuts, pineapple, flaxseed oil, and turmeric.
If you have noticed positive results from any of these foods, or from some other home remedy, feel free to share your experience in the comments.