High-Intensity 4-Minute Workout for Major Calorie Burning
In case you belong to the group of people who are just too busy with their daily routines to find the time to exercise, we’ve got great news for you.
You don’t have to waste time going to the gym when you can achieve the very same results by doing some home exercises.
And we have an ideal exercise routine for all you busy working bees, it only takes a few minutes a day! 4 minutes, to be more precise. Yup, you better believe it. It’s called the Tabata exercise program, and is rather high-intensity. Here’s what it includes:
- Hard 20-second sprinting
- 10-second rest
- Keep on repeating for 4 minutes in total
Sounds too simple to bring about any real results? Well, it does. But you don’t have to take our word for it, simply try it out for yourselves!
A Little Background
This exercise program was invented by the Japanese Dr. Izumi Tabata (hence the name). Even if it looks way too simple, it is sure to help you burn lots of calories.
Back in 1996, at Tokyo’s National Institute of Health and Nutrition, Dr. Tabata and his team had analyzed 2 separate groups of athletes for a time period of 6 weeks.
The first group was tasked with doing mild exercise for a longer period of time, while the second group had to do high-intensity workouts for a short period of time.
At the end of this experiment, the participants of the first group had an 9.5% increase in their aerobic capacity. Their anaerobic capacity hadn’t been increased at all.
The participants from the 2nd group, on the other hand, had their aerobic capacity increased by 14% and their anaerobic capacity had increased by as much as 28%! Additionally, this second group had also improved their oxygen utilization and lung capacity.
Worth the Shot
Namely, the goal of this Tabata workout regime is to enhance one’s athletic performance.
But you may have noticed by now that it is not for absolute beginners. You should first start doing some less intense sprints for a longer time. The breaks in between should also be longer.
Furthermore, you should try doing 60-90 seconds mid-intensity running, and take a break for a minute afterward.
Obviously, you should work on gradually increasing the intensity, as well as shortening the break and exercise time. You should first get used to exercising for a few minutes, and then gradually but surely work your way to just 4 minutes in total.
It Offers You Many Benefits
- This workout builds muscle mass
- It has an effect on the way your body processes glucose (sugar)
- It burns any excess fat you might have stored
- No special equipment is needed, you can simply do this within the comfort of your own home
- It raises your endorphin levels, making you feel happier
- It only lasts 4 minutes! No matter how busy you are or how hectic your life schedule is, you’re bound to have that much time to spare!
Know What Else?
You can incorporate it into other workouts too! Only a small number of the many options you have include: kettlebell training, squats, cycling, pull ups, jumping rope and push-ups.
How to Do It Properly
Before we get into the details on how to properly do the Tabata workout, it is crucial to remember to start gently and slowly, and work your way up. Don’t be discouraged if you find you cannot do it right away. You should gradually be increasing the intensity. Here we go:
- Start off by doing some stretches so that you don’t pull a muscle or any other similar injury
- It’s of utmost importance to set up a timer so that you don’t overdo it and work for more than 4 minutes
- Run as hard as you are able for 20 seconds
- Take a 10-second break
- Repeat for a total of 6 to 8 sets
- After you’re done, do a little more stretching and drink some water at room temperature
Keep in mind that this is not supposed to be ‘walk in the park’ easy and you should find it hard, but not give up, since that just means you’re doing it right and it’s effective. Do this intense workout for no more than 2 to 3 times in one week. Stay Healthy!
Oh, here’s an additional video for those of you who can actually find those elusive 30 minutes and want to lose calories quick!