Loaded Broccoli Potato Cheddar Soup
Potato soup fills you up when you’re hungry whether you want something warm during cool weather or not. It’s also easy to modify with vegetables, herbs, and a cheddar-based sauce that makes this dish a keeper.Total time: 55 minutes
- 5 tbsp butter, divided into 1 tbsp and 4 tbsp
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 4 medium carrots, diced finely
- 4 minced cloves of garlic
- 4 medium potatoes, diced finely
- 1 quart of chicken broth
- 2 small heads of broccoli, diced finely
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk, preferably whole
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, preferably kosher
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 tsp Tabasco
- 6 slices precooked bacon, chopped
Place 1 tbsp butter in a large stockpot, and melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add diced onions, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent. Add carrots, stirring occasionally, for between 3 and 4 minutes.
Add garlic and stir occasionally. When the garlic becomes fragrant, add both the potatoes and broth. Boil; reduce the heat, letting the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
Add broccoli; continue to simmer until the broccoli is tender, another 10 minutes or so. In a second large pan, melt the rest of the butter. Add the flour to the butter, whisking until the mixture is golden brown; this will take about a minute.
Add the milk, whisking until the mixture becomes thicker. Add the cheese and keep stirring until all the cheese has melted and a sauce has formed. Add the salt, pepper, and Tabasco to taste.
Combine everything by adding the cheese sauce to the broth. Stir and season to taste. Add the chopped bacon as a garnish.
Tips and notes:
If you prefer thinner soup, add a little milk after combining the cheese sauce and broth.
Via TIP Hero