A fungal deposit in the nails is not only an ungainly sight but if left untreated it could lead to an infection and cause Onychomycosis.
Removing nail fungus is a difficult task, with synthetic drugs for nail fungus removal not being able to effectively reach the nail bed, where the fungus settles down.
But surprisingly the ingredients for a simple remedy for nail fungus removal are in your own homes.
They are apple cider vinegar and baking soda, which have long remained as excellent ingredients in homemade remedies.
Most Microorganisms including fungi can survive in a limited pH range.
With Vinegar being acidic in nature and baking soda being basic in nature, a combination of these ingredients disrupts the fungi’s environment and removing them, which paves way for neat & healthy nails.
Now we bring to you a simple method of removing nail fungus using these ingredients.
How To Get Rid of Nail Fungus
- Apple cider vinegar
- Baking soda
- Warm water
- A Basin to clean your feet
Steps to be followed:
- Fill the basin with sufficient apple cider vinegar to submerge at least your nails.
- Now let your feet soak for a while, say twenty minutes.
- Remove your feet after twenty minutes and wipe your feet completely dry.
- Now fill the basin with warm water covering your nails.
- Now again soak your feet in the water for fifteen or twenty minutes.
- About half a cup of baking soda should be added to the water at this stage.
- Let your feet soak for a further fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Now again wipe your feet clean & dry.
- Repeat this procedure as many times as you require in a day.
You feet need to be kept dry and clean when you are performing this, so regular cleaning & drying of the feet is recommended. Some other tips that can be followed to prevent aggregation of nail fungi include:
- Wearing shoes that are open near the toes, as the fungi enjoy dark & moist environment.
- Regular trimming of nails would help.
- Nail tips are to be cleaned with brushes using tea tree oil on a daily basis
The treatment is to be continued for a good number of weeks and the time taken for the nail fungus to disappear depends on the extent of fungus settlement.
Apple cider vinegar is useful not only for fighting fungal infections but also other ailments, so it is recommended that it is bought and stored.
There are dearths of brands available but we suggest you look at some of the more popular brands which have the “mother” intact and are raw. The “mother” converts juice in vinegar and this would provide additional health benefits by destroying pathogens.